Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Some of that bittersweet stuff

Well, my mom left me the other day, but I think she had to—My dad and brother are at home and I think you can live on chocolate and Gatorade for about 9 days before you need actual nutrition. I was sad to see her go, and so happy she came. Professor Willem warned us about “hitting the wall,” or the point you get to when you just want to go home, and I was lucky to have my mom here when I was starting to feel a little homesick. But now I’m recharged and ready to face the second half of the semester!

Otoño is here, but Madrid isn’t like Chicago or Indianapolis—there’s no orange or red or yellow. It’s just green outside and one day you look out and the world is brown and leaf-less. But no worries, the last thing I need is another distraction from school! I have three midterms next week (thank you Prof Willem for not assigning one) and I’m not sure what to expect…classes are a lot harder here than I anticipated. But I’m being a good student and taking this whole week to review, review, review and I’m treating myself to *batidos to justify the 6 hour study dates with Claire.

Quiz question: Who knows what Carlos’ final is on? Because I don’t…

I really have to share part of my life here that I know my roommate from Butler, Hayleigh, will appreciate. But I want everyone else to understand too, so here’s a quick pre-story to my story:

This past year at Butler, Hayleigh and I lived in a dorm room and had a Jack-and-Jill style bathroom with our suitemate. Over time things would get broken and out of laziness/resourcefulness we just never got anything fixed. Here’s a summary of what our room was like by April:
  • 1 main light doesn’t work (we were using baby lamps then finally sucked it up and put in ALL our maintenance requests at once)
  • 1 closet door doesn’t shut
  • 1 bathroom outlet doesn’t function (unless you plug something in and slowly pull it out until it hits one nerve toward the very end of the plug and DOES work)
  • 1 bed missing several screws and didn’t sit straight
  • 1 TV channel (Disney) didn’t have sound
  • 4+ clocks on different times/settings/alarms
  • 1 fridge that didn’t work (so it just became a cabinet)
So, Hayleigh, I’m about halfway through the semester and this is what I’ve got:
  • Heat that’s finally turned on, but it sounds like someone’s peeing in here for some reason
  • 1 desk chair that’s about to break (it’s probably all the carbs I’m eating)
  • 1 plastic bottom-of-the-bed thing that slipped off and I can’t get back on without messing up the other three
  • 1 shower drain that is very clogged (but I don’t have hair so I don’t know WHAT’S in it)
  • 1 closet door that doesn’t shut (but how cute, it’s twins with my old closet door!)
  • 3 lightbulbs that don’t work (but there’s 5 so I’m okay)

Whew.

I know when I get home everyone’s going to ask me “So how was it?” And I know all they want to hear is “good” or “so fun” or something quick and easy like that. But for those who are studying abroad/wanting to study abroad/living vicariously through me, here’s a bit of what I’ve learned from this trip.

  1. Communicate. Talk to your professors, your host family, your friends. People at home miss you (thanks guys for keeping in touch, I really need it!) and the people here will get to know you if you want. Don’t be afraid to sound stupid, because even if you do, at least you’re learning. I have been going to the same café for two months and the regulars know me and are interested in me which is a great feeling. It took TWO MONTHS for us to finally connect (it’s hard when you don’t know enough of the language to really express your personality) but keep at it because it’s very worth it.
  2. Guess! Some of my funniest/grossest/most exciting experiences have come from this. We all went to a restaurant one of our first days here and someone ordered gulas just to see (see previous entries for photo) and it was DISGUSTING. But we have great photos and we’ll never order it again! Recently Claire and I hopped a random bus that we thought went to the Alcala mall, and we were right, but we were laughing trying to communicate with a 12 year old who was riding the bus alone and clearly thought we were morons for not knowing something so obvious. The other day I went to the department store to get face cream, and I stood in front of about 40 boxes. I was reading every one to find what I needed and after about 10 minutes I said “F it” and just grabbed one. It’s not night cream, it’s actually perfumed anti-aging day cream, but I smile every morning when I put it on.
  3. Relax. Honestly. And you may laugh and say, “that’s why you study abroad!” but it’s hard out here. You’re adjusting to culture and sometimes different languages and you do have to study. It can be really overwhelming when you are receiving new information every day and you have to study the language before you can even attempt the class materials or a café menu. Just take a deep breath and suck it up and you’ll realize you don’t have time to sweat the small stuff.
  4. Be brave. It kind of embodies all of the above, but I want to elaborate: I didn’t come here with close friends or sorority sisters, and it’s different not having your girlfriends or family to confide in when you need it. I do love the people I’m with, but it’s not like being at home. And my host mother and I just kind of coexist—it’s getting better, but it’s hard getting used to sleeping under someone else’s roof. If I’ve learned anything here that I’m going to take home with me, it’s feeling comfortable in your own skin and within your four walls. I am here for me and whatever I put in is exactly what I’ll get out, and I’m glad I figured that out earlier instead of later!

That was a ton of writing, so I hope you’re not too bored! I have Lisbon this weekend, so expect a post after that ;)

****Batidos are translated as "milkshakes," but don't be fooled. They are chocolate milk mixed with yogurt and not cold. But I order them wherever I go anyway because I'm determined to find a good one.

M

PS, sorry for no photos in this one: "Image uploads will be disabled for two hours due to maintenance..." figures.

7 comments:

  1. hi baby girl! loved this post. and i dont usually comment on these things until i saw the end about the pictures....which basically sums up our lives. LOVE YOU and cant wait for lisbon :) and i wanna hear about your convo today with the willem. (yes i did just say the willem...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love today's entry. You are so wise and, of course, the coolest study-abroad student on the planet. Lovva you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys!

    1. Katie, mylife=a mess=yourlife
    2. thanks mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. MACKIE!!!!

    I LOVE THIS POST!!! I cannot even begin to explain to you how much I died laughing when I read this. I can't wait for another semester of NOTHING WORKING. Also, I miss you a lot and always think of funny things to tell you :(

    ALSO!!!!!!!!! CAN WE TALK ABOUT THE FACT THAT XMAS BREAK MEANS THAT WE GET TO HANG OUT! And that is not that far away! Kinda far away but not as far as it was before!!!

    And by hanging out I mean probably going to applebees but definitely going to IKEA/goodwill/fleas to FINALIZE OUR APARTMENT STUFF!!!

    I simply cannot wait to be your roomie again. This semester is fun, but I need my best bear!!!

    xoxoxo

    ps cool equation on the comment above ^^ ha love you!

    Also I am organizing all my sneemails today at work and I made a folder called MACKIE to put all the hilarious emails in. Been reading through them all today....remember the sandwich boards? YES. Also remember....

    YOU ARE NOT DONE.

    hahaha LOVE IT!!! Ok bye!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just telling my mom that I was excited to drive up there over christmas break! It's actually not that far away AND we have a full month to play before classes start. We are going to have to obvs sit at Applebees with Schmags and just trade stories.

    One thing we need to actually accomplish this semester is that board game...please...I feel like that will actually be amazing if we get around to it.

    YOU ARE NOT DONE.

    ReplyDelete
  6. DUDE. xmas break!!1 can i come visit? seriously, i'll have to drive through chicago anyway and it's always better when i see my two favorite chicago chics.
    Love the blog; I see that you are really making an effort to integrate yourself into the culture and i am so impressed and jealous of that!
    p.s. i found my spanish recipes for potato quesadillas and chicken tortilla soup so for sure we will have to do some cooking.
    hope to have a post up soon, but with clusters coming up and homecoming this week, it's needless to say there is very little time in the day!
    Will try to take many pictures for you to look forward to.
    I love reading your blog and realizing that when i come to your apartment, i should probs wear a hard hat for safety.
    Love you! (heard the song "gives you hell" recently and all i can say is, has that song been scarred for the rest of my life BEAVER HAT!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. AHHHH girls I love you so. Yes please to Ann coming to play with us during xmas break. EPIC!!!! Ew if I never hear Gives you hell again it will be TOO SOON! :)

    ReplyDelete