Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Belated greetings from Amsterdam (Poetry style)

Hope everyone liked my Spanish Traveler's Alphabet posts--I wasn't traveling anywhere for a few weekends but I didn't want you to forget about me! It occurred to me how many of those posts were food related...I guess we all know where my mind is.

However, I did visit Amsterdam two weeks ago, and I've been writing papers and doing projects so I haven't had the chance to update. Even though it's a little late, I now present...



The Amsterdam Poem
We all know that Amsterdam
Is known for its weed
And for many a tourist
That may be all you need

However, there’s more
Surprised, you may be?
Well, read these (intellectual, thought-out) verses
And listen to me!

The hostel was small
And for 20E, no doubt
We were handed lots of maps
To use when we went out

Day one we were off
Cam, Billy and I
My first observation
Was all the bikes that went by!

There were red ones and blue ones
Ones for two people or more
Ones with cartons and shelves
For groceries galore

If you give a city a bicycle
You need to add bike lanes
And parking spaces and bike shops
For all the guys and dames

City bikes are like cars
They’re everywhere—it’s true
And if you’re not careful
They will run over you.

I recovered from the shock
Of the Dr. Seuss-style scene
Of the eco-friendly transportation
That should be every city’s dream

Right after that, we turned
Down a Las Vegas-style course
Alas, no Red Light District
But a different spot for remorse

Food…food?...FOOD!
Mexican, Italian, American, Chinese
An overwhelming nostalgia for home swept over
I can eat ANYTHING I please!

So that was step two
Eat all that we’ve missed
After no time I was stuffed
From a 12 inch pizza in my fist

The weight I’d lost was now back
My pants didn’t really fit
Part of me was cheering, “Love it!”
While the other part was thinking, “well…shit.”

(That’s probably why they have bikes, to keep off all that weight)...

And all was swell
This place was a dream
It was a nice break
From my test-homework-study routine

The weekend was as follows:
Bicycles, more food, and walking
I let the sights, scenes, and locals
Do all of the talking

The city was beautiful
But by Monday I said adieu
To catch a late flight home to Spain
So I could write to you...

3 comments:

  1. now that i know you can write poems.... we need to write one about Tolstoy, Thoreau and family. Glad you had fun in amsterdam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha hayleigh--I envision next semester as one gigantic musical number, with intermissions of parkour and free verse poetry. Can you breakdance?

    ReplyDelete