Sunday, November 7, 2010

I through O

Intercambio- This is by far the best way to learn a language. They are consistent one on one meetings with someone who wants to practice the language with you. My intercambio friend is Marta; she practices English and I practice Spanish and we correct each other over coffee.

Jamón- Ham. If you don’t like it, you will after coming to Spain. It’s in practically every meal you’ll eat. It’s fresh and amazing, and this is from a hater of pigs.

Kaki- If you EVER have the opportunity to try this, do it. It’s a fruit without a pit or any seeds, but it’s disguised as a tomato. It’s so sneaky that I even notice what it was, and I’m so glad Claire discovered them in Paris.

Locutorio- If you need to make a cheap international call, go to the nearest locutorio. Very helpful when Chase cancels my credit card or when I want to talk to my mama.

Map- This will take on a whole new meaning when you’re in Europe. The first thing any of us do when we step off the plane is say, “where’s a map?” Without one you are useless, lost, and wasting time. Most of the airports and bus stations will have ones with tourist attractions already labeled, which is very convenient. It also allows us to quickly construct a Dora the Explorer-style plan (“under the Bridge of Sighs, around the Arc de Triomphe, through Park Guell until we reach the magical land of rainbows…”) when we haven’t done any research prior to landing.

No pasa nada- This means “it’s nothing,” or “don’t worry about it.” Example: “I’m so sorry I tripped over your purse dog that’s tied to a tree while you’re shopping in the market.” “No pasa nada, chica.”

Ordenador- This means computer. This word, combined with the phrase “no funciona” is something you’ll unfortunately have to use. Everyone has had a problem with their computer/internet since we got here, including me.

m

1 comment:

  1. Once again, fun to read! I can't wait for the rest of the alphabet. Maybe Q can be Que Ganga!!!

    ReplyDelete